Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spring break '09

It is now spring break '09! It feels great to not have to be in school for a week. That being said, I'm trying to figure out how to best use my time as not to feel like I wasted it. I'm one of the few people left in Charleston, currently. Aside from my house mates, pretty much everyone, minus a few here and there are gone. Friday and Saturday were quite pleasant outside, especially after the cold from last week. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to get cold again until next thursday or friday.

Now that I'm done discussing superficial things such as the weather, I'm now going to discuss three other topics. The first two are somewhat short. The first of these is new diction I find myself using on an everyday basis. My two newest sayings, which you are welcome to borrow, are "wah wah" and "it'll be irie." The first, "wah wah," is said when something somewhat disappointing comes to light. This is generally in casual conversation and used to lighten the situation and dismiss the disappointment. I suppose if you were to define the phrase, it would mean, "I am somewhat disappointed about the certain situation that arose but it is not too big of a deal and I'll get over it. Now, moving on..." 

The second of these phrases, "it'll be irie," may be familiar to some of you. It is a Jamaican/Caribbean phrase in which the word "irie" is used instead of "alright." In truth, I may not specifically use that phrase but instead use the word "irie" occasionally instead of "alright." I really don't use this much at all except for in the house because I don't want to look too much like an idiot.

As for the second of my short topics, I have been feeling somewhat of a lull in my enjoyment of listening to music. Bands that I have previously enjoyed are beginning to bore me. The only music that I am currently enjoying listening to is Kaki King and some rap, namely Keny Arkana (french rap) and some Lupe Fiasco. I enjoy the french rap because you get the emotion and sound of the music but I don't have to actually understand what he's saying. More often than not, American rap (not American as in rap in the English language, but American as in rap from the US of A) can be very harsh in its lyrics and its message. That generally turns me off of rap artists. Lupe Fiasco, for instance, has some songs I won't listen too. I just enjoy the rest of his music enough to keep listening. Kaki King, on the other hand, is not rap, in case you were unaware. Her music tends to be pretty relaxing but still interesting enough that you don't fall asleep.

Now, getting to my third and final topic: new york city/life after cofc. So on thursday my accounting professor cancelled class so I took the opportunity to go talk to him about my education and career aspirations. The accounting department has set up some mock interviews, in which I plan to participate. My initial reason for going to see him was to have him look at my resume. This, in turn, led to a discussion about the best path for me to take in terms of getting a career. The main outcome of the conversation (other than reminiscing about philadelphia, since he's from south jersey) was the importance of going to grad school and the importance of the location of grad school in terms of where you want your first job to be. Obviously, all of this future makes one think a lot about where one wants to begin one's life out of college. After much deliberation, I feel as though this will lead back to the north east. I'm looking a lot at schools in nyc and maybe boston. I don't really want to go back to philadelphia. It's time for something new. dc, maybe? I dunno, but as of now it looks like I'm northeast bound. I say new york in the beginning because I've been reminiscing about new york a lot over the past few days due to people going there, being there, making plans to go there. I just love new york, as I sit here wearing my I heart New York shirt. I also love Amagansett, which, if you read back to my summer posts, is where my grandparents have a house on long island. All of these things are reasons why I have centered in on nyc.

1 comment:

Kristen Gehrman said...

Ryan,

I have a CD for you. And so you know, I've had it for over a week. Kaki King is lovely. New York sounds like a beautiful change.

Enjoy the weather.