Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Groningen, Netherlands

Yesterday I left london at about 4:00pm and somehow managed to get to Groningen at 12:00. That's what was supposed to happen but I'm not quite sure how it did. My first leg of the trip, which also happened to be the part I actually understood was from London to Brussels. That was easy. However, after that, it was just a big guessing game.. educated guesses, mind you. After a few train changes and a lot of question asking, I some how made it to Groningen in one piece and on time.

Groningen is fantastic! If you know me at least a little bit, which I would asume you do if you're reading this (if not, introduce yourself!), you know that I love bikes. You probably always see me on my bike cruising around Charleston. Well in that regard, Groningen is like heaven. everyone bikes everywhere. It is simply fantastic. According to Michelle, my resident urban planning enthusiast, most Dutch towns were designed to be 5km wide, the amount to be comfortably rid en on a bicycle. Hear that? Towns designed around bicycles!

Anyway, the weather is nice, the food is good, bikes are everywhere, I give Groningen my initial seal of approval. More soon to come.

3 comments:

Amy said...

PLEASE tell me you found a Dutch Bike Polo game to play in!! (At least watch?)

WILLIS

Anonymous said...

HI RYAN!! I learned of your blog via searching for your email address on facebook. LOVE THE INTERNET!
Sounds like a great trip- I love how Dutch (and others) love bikes!

Anonymous said...

Also if you have not made plans yet, you can stay in Brussels with my friends (I used to live there). Facebook me haha