Tuesday, June 24, 2008

summertime blues

Lately I've developed a case of the summertime blues. I wake up, go to work, come home, go to school, come home, do homework, go to sleep, repeat ad nauseam. I would assume that is the cause of my blueness. But even if I weren't so busy with work and school, I believe I would still feel a certain emptiness throughout my day. There's a constant lack of meaning in my routine. As it stands, there is no apparent remedy to my situation. It will last until August, at which point I will free myself from the monotony of Ritz camera and DCCC and return home to Charleston.

That is how I have felt since my return to Pennsylvania in January, this is no longer my home. There is nothing for me here, save for my parents and a few friends. My trip to Charleston for the month of april was extremely liberating. I narrowly escaped the possibility of being in Philadelphia for the next two or more years, which probably would have turned out to be ok.

But that's all it would be, ok. Nothing more. I don't want ok. I want more than ok. If I was fine with ok, I never would have transferred from Penn State I would be headed up to the middle of nowhere, Pennsylvania to spend my days with about 50,000 other college students and only college students. That would have been ok.

For now, I will call Charleston home. Only my second home in my active memory. As the saying goes, home is where the heart is. I don't know how long my heart will remain in Charleston but that is where I belong for now.

1 comment:

Michael Broderick said...

I, too, have experienced that change in sense of "home." I think that happens to a lot of us who move to Charleston. It's unexplainable. A lot of friends I have who went to other colleges don't seem to get that same experience in their new towns or cities. I guess Charleston is just that awesome. Or something.


Hope you're having a super summer, Ryan!